Pins are my nemesis. they get everywhere, I drop them everywhere, I step on, lean on, knock into, pick up, prick up the little nightmares of usefulness constantly. My fingers are practically colanders! So I thought it was about time I made a pin cushion or two. I did some googling and saw some great ideas but none that were quite what I was after so EXPERIMENTATION beckoned! Today I’m sharing my mushroom pin cushion and I’ll add my first attempt at cupcake pin cushions next week. These were both trial and error attempts so I’ve included some lessons learnt throughout. Enjoy!
You will need:
- White felt (a small piece of about 15cm x 5cm will do)
- Spotty red and white fabric
- Red and white trim
- Wine bottle cork
- Needle and white cotton thread
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Step One: Cut
Cut a circle from your spotty fabric. I used a bowl as a template, although I ended up making it slightly smaller. Diameter of about 15cm works well
Step Two: Gather
Using running stitch sew neatly and evenly all around the outside of your circle, about half a cm from the edge. Place your stuffing inside and then pull your thread to gather all the edge up tightly.
Lessons learnt: I used cotton wool as my stuffing. It’s worked but it doesn’t hold a shape quite as well and is a little soft when you’re pushing pins into it. For my second pin cushion I cut up a sponge with a thick scrubbing top to it which worked so much better. Sand is meant to be your best bet so it all really depends how far you’re willing to go for the pin cushion of your dreams. I learnt here that my dedication to making this pin cushion properly was most definitely limited to the ‘look’ and defined by my laziness!
Step Three: Cork
Wrap your wine cork in white felt leaving a bit of spare at the top which will later help you attach your base to the pin cushion top. Glue this in place. I used all purpose UHU which was fine but took a little longer to dry and didn’t feel that secure so I switched it up to Glu Fix.
Step Four: Trim
I had some really cute red and white stripe string style trim that some friends gave me which I decided to spiral onto the bottom to hide the cork and then twist around the white felt, gluing as I went. I didn’t trim this until after I had attached the mushroom top in case it came in useful with hiding any stitches and general neatening.
Step Five: Construct
To make sure the top was attached really closely to my cork base I pushed all of the loose ends inside the mushroom top. I then sewed top to base as tightly as I could and wrapped the trim around the join once more to hide any stray stitches…
FINITO – it was worth the pain! I love it…. but I WISH I’d filled it with something else…. next time, next time
Photography by Hannah Cox. Covered under copyright © creativise
Please don’t use without asking and always link back to my blog