I LOVE The Great Gatsby. Let’s all just go back to the 20’s, wear gorgeous dresses, and lounge about at decadent underground speakeasies drinking illegal cocktails from jam jars. Actually scrap that. I’ll just head to Evans & Peel Detective Agency (if you do make their final illustrious gatherings make sure you have your story straight – you will be interrogated and now you have been warned). London’s numerous speakeasies aside, here are my top tips for living life the Gatsby way:
1. Bohemian is so so attractive and ridiculous all at the same time, drop lines like this into everyday conversation to add an air of woeful, beautiful mystery…
“You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me.” Gatsby
2. Big parties are wondrous hives of people, chatter, and the unexpected. Throw big parties. Often.
“I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isnt any privacy.” Jordan
3. It’s all about the look darling!
“[She] had changed her costume some time before, and was now attired in an elaborate afternoon dress of cream-colored chiffon, which gave out a continual rustle as she swept about the room. With the influence of the dress her personality had also undergone a change. The intense vitality that had been so remarkable in the garage was converted into impressive hauteur” Nick
4. You can never have too many feathers, jewels, or sparkle in an outfit… and looking like a peacock is a totally legitimate choice for an evening
“I remember the fur coats of the girls returning from Miss This-or-That’s”
5. Indulge, indulge, indulge
“I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne, and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound” Nick
6. Allow yourself to be obsessed and captivated by something at all times
“There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired.”
6. Do everything, travel, experience, have it all…. and then shrug your shoulders in indifference
“I’ve been everywhere and done everything” Daisy